The Sophie Fund is committed to supporting mental health initiatives in the Greater Ithaca community. One of our projects is sponsoring Mental Health First Aid training conducted by the Mental Health Association in Tompkins County.
Participants receive certification, knowledge about local mental health resources, and skills to assist individuals they encounter in any aspect of their life who need support.
Mental Health First Aid course at Tompkins County Public Library, April 16, 2018
Download our flyer here:
Read about one of the Ithaca training sessions here:
Learn more about Mental Health First Aid here:
Mental Health First Aid is an internationally recognized, evidence-based training program. With content strongly based in research, the training also teaches compassion, listening skills, the types of mental health help that are available, and combats the stigma surrounding mental health that prevents so many individuals from accessing the help they need.
Trainees in a Mental Health First Aid class will learn to:
- Apply a 5-step action plan to assist individuals dealing with a mental health problem or crisis focused on initial risk assessment, listening skills, and providing reassurance, information, and appropriate encouragement
- Recognize the signs of a developing mental health problem and ways of approaching someone they are concerned about to provide help—before the situation becomes a crisis
- How to respond to specific mental health crises, including suicidal thoughts, non-suicidal self-injury, panic attacks, psychotic episodes, and substance use crises
- Recognize the connections between substance use and mental health
- Provide as much help as they can while staying in the confines of their role both in relation to the individual needing help, and in their role as a Mental Health First Aider.
For more information about Mental Health First Aid courses, contact MHA’s Melanie Little at: email@example.com
To seek The Sophie Fund’s sponsorship of a course in Mental Health First aid for your organization or company, contact The Sophie Fund at: firstname.lastname@example.org